Sun Microsystems Solaris OS interview questions
Following are some Sun Microsystems Solaris OS interview questions, can you answer them??
1. List the files in current directory sorted by size ? – ls -l | grep ^- | sort -nr
2. List the hidden files in current directory ? – ls -a1 | grep “^\.”
3. Delete blank lines in a file ? – cat sample.txt | grep -v ‘^$’ > new_sample.txt
4. Search for a sample string in particular files ? – grep .Debug. *.confHere grep uses the string .Debug. to search in all files with extension..conf. under current directory.
5. Display the last newly appending lines of a file during appendingdata to the same file by some processes ? – tail .f Debug.logHere tail shows the newly appended data into Debug.log by some processes/user.
6. Display the Disk Usage of file sizes under each directory in currentDirectory ? – du -k * | sort .nr (or) du .k . | sort -nr
7. Change to a directory, which is having very long name ? – cd CDMA_3X_GEN*Here original directory name is . .CDMA_3X_GENERATION_DATA..
8. Display the all files recursively with path under current directory ? – find . -depth -print
9. Set the Display automatically for the current new user ? – export DISPLAY=`eval ‘who am i | cut -d”(” -f2 | cut -d”)” -f1?`Here in above command, see single quote, double quote, grave ascent is used. Observe carefully.
10. Display the processes, which are running under yourusername ? – ps .aef | grep MaheshvjHere, Maheshvj is the username.
11. List some Hot Keys for bash shell ? – Ctrl+l . Clears the Screen. Ctrl+r . Does a search in previously given commands in shell. Ctrl+u – Clears the typing before the hotkey. Ctrl+a . Places cursor at the beginning of the command at shell. Ctrl+e . Places cursor at the end of the command at shell. Ctrl+d . Kills the shell. Ctrl+z . Places the currently running process into background.
12. Display the files in the directory by file size ? – ls .ltr | sort .nr .k 5
13. How to save man pages to a file ? – man | col .b > Example : man top | col .b > top_help.txt
14. How to know the date & time for . when script is executed ? – Add the following script line in shell script.eval echo “Script is executed at `date`” >> timeinfo.infHere, .timeinfo.inf. contains date & time details ie., when script is executed and history related to execution.
15. How do you find out drive statistics ? – iostat -E
16. Display disk usage in Kilobytes ? – du -k
17. Display top ten largest files/directories ? – du -sk * | sort -nr | head
18. How much space is used for users in kilobytes ? – quot -af
19. How to create null file ? – cat /dev/null > filename1
20. Access common commands quicker ? – ps -ef | grep -i [email protected]
21. Display the page size of memory ? – pagesize -a
22. Display Ethernet Address arp table ? – arp -a
23. Display the no.of active established connections to localhost ? – netstat -a | grep EST
24. Display the state of interfaces used for TCP/IP traffice ? – netstat -i
25. Display the parent/child tree of a process ? – ptree Example: ptree 1267
26. Show the working directory of a process ? – pwdx Example: pwdx 1267
27. Display the processes current open files ? – pfiles Example: pfiles 1267
28. Display the inter-process communication facility status ? – ipcs
29. Display the top most process utilizing most CPU ? – top .b 1
30. Alternative for top command ? – prstat -a